I have always offered Virtual Counseling as an option for my students, but during the coronavirus pandemic, 100% of my counseling is done via Zoom.
What are the benefits of Virtual 1:1 Coaching?
- FLEXIBLE – High school students have very busy schedules. It’s easier to fit an hour of time for virtual counseling at home without worrying about driving from school and back home. Parents don’t have to worry about transportation logistics, too!
- CONVENIENT – Virtual meetings are usually held after school between 3 and 6 p.m.
- ANYWHERE – Whether you live in Pleasanton, Silicon Valley, or New York, counseling via Zoom can bridge the distance. Time zones can also be accommodated.
How does a virtual college counseling session work? I use Zoom and email for virtual college counseling. Usually, I meet with students 1:1, but parents can join if appropriate. Documents can be shared via Google Docs.
How long does each counseling session last? Each session lasts approximately 60 minutes.
How often do we meet? Just like in-person meetings, the timing of coaching sessions is based on the student’s needs.
- Families are expected to watch College Knowledge Webinars before meetings!
- Freshmen and sophomores can meet quarterly with a parent.
- Juniors – can meet monthly in addition to the Webinars
- Seniors may want to meet me every 2-3 weeks, in the fall when when writing college essays.